Happy 4th of July!
How great that the 4th is on a Monday this year: who doesn’t love a three-day weekend that ends with an incredible fireworks display? We’re in Bologna, Italy so we probably won’t have our fill our barbecues and light shows this year… but for those of you who are planning a weekend festivity, here are some great 4th of July food and wine picks:
– Zinfandel goes great with barbecue sauce and spice rubs. The dark fruits in a Zinfandel pair well with the tang in barbecue sauces and also balance the spice in any sauces or rubs. (Learn more about Zin here.)
There are so many good Zinfandel wines to choose from, my top picks include:
Old Ghost Old Vine Zinfandel from Klinker Brick Winery.
Any of the Zins from Carlisle (although sold out on the web, you my be able to find some at your local boutique wine store).
Consistently good, and decently priced Zinfandel from Seghesio Family Vineyards in Healdsburg.
Any of the MANY Zinfandel wines produced by Rosenblum Cellars (lots of price points to choose from!).
Murphy-Goode’s Liar’s Dice or Snake Eyes.
The beautiful Zinfandels from Hendry Ranch Wines (I love both the Block 22 and the Block 28, ALL are incredible).
Any of the 12 Zinfandel wines bottled by Ridge Vineyards (they’ve been producing Zin since 1964, so they know what they’re doing!).
The certified organic and biodynamic Zinfandel from Grgich Hills Estate.
The Zinfandel from Lamborn Family Vineyards (made by the famed winemaker Heidi Barrett).
The award-winning Frank Family Vineyards Zinfandel or Zinfandel Reserve.
And then for the eats…
– Add some zip to your corn with this Cilantro-lime Buttered Corn on the Cob recipe from Little Yellow Kitchen.
– Watermelon bites: what a fun (and “no-bake”) appetizer! Thanks to Feast on the Cheap.
– Nothing beats an old-fashioned angel food cake. Very festive if you add blueberries for the red, white and blue theme!
– Grilled pizza? We’re in.
– Some of my favorite flavors: BBQ Chicken Pizza with Smoked Gouda and Caramelized Onions from Tasty Kitchen.